Close  

Riot Games Bans Amihan Esports For 12 Months

01:43 PM July 17, 2021

Riot Games released a competitive ruling banning Amihan Esports for 12 months. This came after an investigation concluded that the organization forged Karl Ken “Karlll” Bautista’s age for eligibility.

May be an image of 5 people, people standing and text that says 'THAN LEANE FIRST SEASON PPGL 2021 SUMMER SPLIT: CHAMPION •PHILIPPINE REPRESENT FOR SEA ICON SERIES: SUMMER SUPER CUP FIRST SEASON SEA ICON SERIES SUMMER SUPER CUP- GROUP STAGE FIRST SEED (5-1) FIRST SEASON SEA ICON SERIES SUMMER SUPER CUP TOP 5 FINISHER UNDEFEATED STREAK PHILIPPINES TO INTERNATIONAL GROUP STAGE (16-0) 00 艾 AMIHANESPORTS @AMIHANESPORTS AMIHANESPORTS'

via Amihan Esports’s Facebook page

After allegations of map hacking and inaccurate player documentation surfaced, Riot launched an investigation immediately which initially cleared Karlll of these allegations.

ADVERTISEMENT

However, new evidence for the alleged forged documentation prompted Riot to reopen the investigation. Riot found out that the documents were ‘indeed forged to misrepresent his age at the time of registration’ and that Amihan was ‘fully aware of AMI Karlll being underage’.

Riot games banned the Filipino organization for 12 months — effective immediately the competitive ruling was released. Karlll also received a 9-month ban from all Riot Games esports — which began during his last match on June 26, 2021. Former Amihan team manager Christian Villegas received a 12-month ban while Amihan team owner Francis Mariano received an indefinite ban — only being eligible to apply for reinstatement after 2 years.

FEATURED STORIES

The team is also required to forfeit their prize winnings from both the SEA Icon Series Philippines Summer Season and the SEA Icon Series Summer Super Cup. The forfeited winnings will be donated to a charity through the Riot Games Social Impact Fund. Their slot for the SEA Icon Series Fall Season will also be vacated and thus PPGL will be announcing a new qualifier to replace them.

Amihan Esports coach Mikey “Ferzerk” Alberto released a statement on his Facebook page enlightening the people of the situation. Ferzerk revealed that he didn’t know about the “illicit plan” but would have opposed it if he had been a stakeholder of the organization during its inception.

“Some period after my onboarding, management disclosed the painted facts of the situation to me. I was honestly surprised. But because I was told that they were already moving to correct the situation, I chose to focus on my work,” Ferzerk revealed in the statement.

He also condemns the targeted harassment towards the team on social media and instead refers them to the official statement by Riot Games. “It’s been very difficult for them to hear and see so much human judgments stemming from misinformation.”

Amihan Esports is no stranger to controversy. Besides the numerous map hacking and cheating allegations, the organization was also infamous for seizing the Visayas qualifier spot for the SEA Icon Series Philippines Summer Season. Countless Visayan fans and esports organizations argued that the qualified team for the Visayas qualifier should have been reserved for Visayan teams.

Amihan has yet to release an official statement as of this article’s writing.

ADVERTISEMENT
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Amihan Esports, League of Legends: Wild Rift, PPGL, Riot Games
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.