VALORANT won more awards than League of Legends in The Game Awards 2022
Sorry League of Legends fans, VALORANT is the best Riot game this year, at least according to The Game Awards.
In the recently concluded The Game Awards 2022, VALORANT bested League of Legends, Valve’s Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and Dota 2, and Psyonix’s Rocket League to win Best Esports Game in the Game Awards 2022, but that wasn’t the only win VALORANT took home that night.
Jacob “Yay” Whiteaker — arguably this year’s best VALORANT player in the world who joined Cloud9 this offseason — won the Best Esports Athlete award. At the same time, LOUD’s Champions 2022-winning VALORANT squad took the crown for the Best Esports Team award, while LOUD’s former VALORANT coach, Matheus “bzkA” Tarasconi, took the Best Esports Coach award.
Fortunately for League of Legends, they were able to snag the Best Adaptation award with their multi-award-winning Netflix series Arcane: League of Legends and the Best Esports Event with their 2022 League of Legends World Championship.
Besides the aforementioned awards, here’s the rest of this year’s The Game Awards awardees, which included some very surprising winners (looking at you, Best Mobile Game awardee MARVEL SNAP):
- GAME OF THE YEAR: Elden Ring (FromSoftware/Bandai Namco)
- BEST GAME DIRECTION: Elden Ring (FromSoftware/Bandai Namco)
- BEST NARRATIVE: God of War Ragnarök (Sony Santa Monica/SIE)
- BEST ART DIRECTION: Elden Ring (FromSoftware/Bandai Namco)
- BEST SCORE AND MUSIC: Bear McCreary, God of War Ragnarök
- BEST AUDIO DESIGN: God of War Ragnarök (Sony Santa Monica/SIE)
- BEST PERFORMANCE: Christopher Judge (as Kratos), God of War Ragnarök
- GAMES FOR IMPACT: As Dusk Falls (Interior Night/Xbox Game Studios)
- BEST ONGOING GAME: FINAL FANTASY XIV (Square Enix)
- BEST INDIE: Stray (BlueTwelve Studio/Annapurna)
- BEST DEBUT INDIE: Stray (BlueTwelve Studio/Annapurna)
- BEST COMMUNITY SUPPORT, PRESENTED BY DISCORD: FINAL FANTASY XIV (Square Enix) – WINNER
- BEST MOBILE: MARVEL SNAP (Second Dinner Studios/Nuverse)
- BEST VR/AR: Moss: Book II (Polyarc)
- BEST ACTION: Bayonetta 3 (Platinum Games/Nintendo)
- BEST ACTION/ADVENTURE: God of War Ragnarök (Sony Santa Monica/SIE)
- BEST ROLE PLAYING: Elden Ring (FromSoftware/Bandai Namco)
- BEST FIGHTING: MultiVersus (Player First Games/WB Games)
- BEST FAMILY: Kirby and the Forgotten Land (HAL Laboratory / Nintendo)
- BEST SIM/STRATEGY: Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope (Ubisoft Milan/Paris/Ubisoft)
- BEST SPORTS/RACING: Gran Turismo 7 (Polyphony Digital/SIE)
- BEST MULTIPLAYER: Splatoon 3 (Nintendo EPD/Nintendo)
- MOST ANTICIPATED: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Nintendo EPD/Nintendo)
- CONTENT CREATOR OF THE YEAR: Ludwig
- INNOVATION IN ACCESSIBILITY: God of War Ragnarök (Sony Santa Monica/SIE)
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.